Friday, March 11, 2011

New Addition to the Family

We would like to introduce the newest members of our family.
As part of our desire to follow the prophet's advice in being prepared, we decided to try our hand at raising chickens.  The main purpose is to be able to have our own egg supply.  Yesterday we bought 6 chicks and now they live in a box in the garage.  We are going to modify our pigeon coop to make a home for them when they get big enough to live outside.  Right away Jaxon picked out one and said "that's my chicken and his name is Fred"  So, meet Fred the chicken
The boys and many of the neighborhood kids spent yesterday afternoon huddled around the box watching the chicks.  Jaxon and his little friend started naming all of them.  Of course they were chicken appropriate names like Hulk, Garfield, Spiderman, and Ixy.  And Jaxon has dubbed the other black one as Nathaniel's with the name of Bob.
Isn't that an adorable little ball of fluff?

Next we are going to buy a few that lay colored eggs.  I think that is the coolest thing ever.  A chicken that lays pre-colored Easter Eggs?  Cool! 
It should be a fun adventure for us and the boys (and most of the neighborhood kids).

4 comments:

Cheyenne said...

Wow! That is quite a venture! Sounds like fun though :)

Erin P. said...

Daniel and I would like to get chickens one day. Daniel even mentioned getting some this year and then I reminded him that we live in an apartment.

Holly said...

How fun!!! Sid would love a chicken every time we go to Murdoch's he has to go and look at them. Fresh eggs are the best!!!

Melissa Lasley said...

I think your family might be one of the coolest I know. No wonder the neighbor kids want to hang out with you!