Sunday, March 7, 2010

Bottling Chicken

I've had some requests on how to bottle chicken so here you go.  It's actually very easy.  The instructions I used said that 1 pound of chicken fit in pints size bottles so that's what I used.  I could only fit 1 chicken breast in each pint.  I think next time I might do quart size so I can fit 2 chicken breasts in each bottle.  Anyway, I trimmed the fat off and stuffed the chicken into the bottles.  I added about 1/4 tsp of salt to each one.  Then boiled the flat lids, put them on the bottles followed by the rims, then prssure cooked them.  It's pretty simple just time comsuming. 
The instructions I used were from Wendy Dewitt.  She travels the world giving seminars on food storage so she really knows her stuff.   She has alot of really good information.  Here is the link to her blog.  You have to scan down a bit to find the part on bottling meat.  everythingunderthesun.blogspot.com
Good luck and happy canning!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thanks so much for letting me know how to bottle the chicken. I think I will be doing it in the near future.