Friday, March 5, 2010

Remember my last post?  The one where we had played tennis and were enjoying the warm weather?  Well, here's what the backyard looks like this morning.
What is that? you say.  It's not really in my yard.  It's contruction materials piled in the empty lot next to us. I liked how the snow is piling up on the rim.
UGH!!  Enough said.
One of my biggest challenged in acquiring food storage has been figuring out how to store meat.  I have an entire elk in my freezer but some major catastrophy happens, power goes out and and bye bye elk meat.  We bottled meatballs made out of the elk, but I prefer chicken and would like a way to store it without paying for high priced canned chicken.  While visiting teaching last month, the lesson was on self reliance and my partner talked about bottling chicken.  I got all excited and have been waiting for chicken to go on a good enough sale to buy alot and try it out.  Well, yesterday I got by big opportunity.  I bought a 40 pound box of chicken breast and got to work.  After many hours of cutting and packing and pressure cooking, I have this.
Yea!  It's a thing of beauty really.  I get so excited when I add things to my food storage and seeing my cold storage room fill up gets me giddy.

5 comments:

Andie said...

Your a brave woman, a force to be reckoned with. Way to go!

Holly said...

WOW!! the snow is very pretty and the chicken looks fantastic. I would love to learn how to bottle chicken and other kinds of meat. You are amazing!!

Amy said...

I would like to know how to do this as well. I know that chicken is one sale this week. Please let us know how to do it. Your new house looks so fun.

Melissa Lasley said...

Bottling chicken is pretty brave! You'll have to tell us how it cooks!

Erin P. said...

Hey. look at the bright side, at least it isn't as muddy in the back yard with all the snow :)