Sunday, November 2, 2008

My turn (make sure you keep going to see Melinda's post)

Hello to everyone. I have not taken the time or opportunity to post anything so here goes. I tend to write in my journal 2-3 times a year. Pheasant hunt, Elk hunt and Deer hunt. It is just too bad that they are always at the end of the year. Maybe I need to pick up spring turkeys or bear.

The pheasant hunt was wonderful. Brad, Coby and Nick came with us up to Jessie's Grandparents. They have a wonderful farm house that is in some of the best pheasant country I have seen.

We arrived late on Oct 31st. After we got the kids settled we spent some time bringing each other up to speed on all of the crazy things that have gone on in our lives.(This section is very short, "What happens at Pheasant Camp Stays at Pheasant Camp")

We got up early and were fed a kings breakfast. We went hunting in some wonderful country only to have found that someone had beaten us to each place. We still managed to see some roosters and had a few opportunities to miss some that perhaps should have spent a little time in the refrigerator.

We returned to the farm house only to find homemade Chile, apple crisp and ice cream and a chance to rest our feet. The dogs were probably more tired than all of us.

It was great to spend some time around the table and talk of hunts past.

Brad, Coby and Nick left to go home around 2pm. I had one last ditch that I wanted to go through. Nathaniel and Marcus came along. Frankly,I don't think that you could have kept those boys from coming. At the end of the ditch Ally went on point. As I took a few steps in front of her a big rooster took flight. I missed the first two shots due to excitement and poor aim. The thought of letting this bird get away and disappointing these young hunters went through my mind as my third and last bullet sounded off. To my great relief and cheers from the crowd the bird went down. Rocky retrieved it out of a deep gully and the happy hunters returned with success.

Thanks to all who made this such a great experience, especially Jessie's Grandparents and my friends who laugh at the same stories which I am sure keep being elaborated. I was so glad that Melinda decided to come. In my own mind sharing this with her was the icing on the cake.

Benjamin

4 comments:

Pays said...

Coby says, "Lucky shot!!"

Melissa Lasley said...

I;m glad you got your bird, way to go!

Stacy Salazar said...

Ben- good to hear from you. Did you hear about your friend John Hart? We need to catch up!

Ben Kroff said...

man, you are a serious hunter! The only thing I have ever killed and ate was a snail...hmmm...a snail...who would have suggested I kill and eat a snail?