We received a set of these nativity blocks from a friend last year for Christmas and I thought they were great! What a good nativity for kids, especially boys who aren't alwasy so careful. So I decided that for Christmas this year I would make these for some of our friends. Sounds simple, right? Yea, I thought so too. First of all I mention that this great idea came to me 2 weeks before Christmas. And to make it more amusing, my firend told me she had started hers in July. Not real encouraging. But when I get an idea, I get pretty determined.So, firstI had to find the stickers which I found out are no longer in print. After some internet searching and finally a phone call to the friend that gave me a set, I found a website to buy the nativity stickers. So let the work begin!!
Next involved an entire afternoon of cutting 2x4's into 5 different sizes of blocks. Then the sanding began. It involved 2 stages of sanding, first with course sandpaper to make them nice square blocks and to get the rough spots, then a finer sandpaper to make them smooth. So after the first day of sanding, I just about took the entire box of blocks, turned it over to my boys and said "have fun". Cause I certainly wasn't having fun with the sanding. After 2 days of forgetting the whole idea, I regained my gusto and went for it again. So after a bunch more sanding they were ready for the final steps, which were much easier.
So they are done, the final step is sewing bags for them to be stored in. That is very easy and all I need is a little free time from kids to sit at my machine.
Anyway, I am really happy with now and feeling accomplish to have made them, and pretty much by myself. I think they are pretty darn cute, and fun for kids. What kid doesn't love to play with blocks? I hope my friends enjoy them and appreciate them, cause it turned out to be quite a labor of love to get them made.

Here's a random pictures of my kids because I am still learning how to this blog stuff and I put in the wrong photo and can't figure out how to get rid of it. Face it, I'm a goof!! So, enjoy this extra bonus.
3 comments:
Melinda! I'm so excited you have a blog! Its such a great way to keep up with what's going on with everybody. We got your Christmas card yesterday and LOVE it--the boys are SO cute! And Jaxson--what a sweetie! Go you with the homemade gifts, I've always made my own gifts every year, and this year I cheated and bought everything. I'm so impressed!
Hi! We just found out about the blog too, very exciting! Way to go on making all of those blocks - very impressive. It was great to get the pictures of the boys, but I was sad to see that I didn't really recognize Jaxon. Then again, I haven't really seen him, but that is sad too. Hopefully we will get out there soon and can hang out.
Matthew and I realized the other day that we have five family members that we have never met. Eli, Jaxson, Drew, Hope and Hallie. Sad isn't it? Time for a trip to Utah! We'll be coming out for my brother's wedding in May, but I don't know how much time we'll have to see everybody. We're doing a Palmer trip in August though. We can't wait!
Oh, P.S., Where did you end up finding the Christmas stickers Melinda?
Post a Comment