Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Our Trek Experience

It's been a while, I just haven't felt the blogging spirit for a long time.  Although I have many things I need to write about, I am going to come back to them later so I can write a little about our trek experience.  I have mentioned that this blog is my journal, however, because many of my experiences on trek are too close to my heart to send into cyberland, I chose to write the full experience in my actual handwritten journal and just share a some of the experience here.
The stake leaders took all the youth in the stake and divided them into families and each were assigned a ma and pa.  We had many get-togethers and much work beforehand to gather paperwork and get to know all the kids.  At the very last minute we were able to get all 10 of our "children" in our family to attend.  We were pretty excited about that.  We met at the stake center on Monday morning at 5:30, loaded the buses and we were off on our journey.  Our first place to explore was Independence Rock.  It was so cool to climb the rock and find names of pioneers.
We ended our day at Martins Cove.  We picked up our handcarts, loaded them up with our buckets (we were only allowed to bring what we could fit in a 5 gallon bucket) and trekked 3 miles to our first campground.  Everyone pitched in setting up tents and preparing dinner.  We had to set up and take down around 50+ tents at each campground so it was a pretty big undertaking.  After dinner we got to do square dancing with the missionaries.  We had a blast swinging each other around.  Afterward we spent time as families getting to know each other and had a little FHE.
The next morning we rose early and hit the trail.  We trekked a total of 7 miles this day.  We visited Dan Jones Cove and Martins Cove.  We also got to cross the sweetwater river.  The spirit was so amazing.  There is no way I can fully share the way it felt to be there.
That evening we re-boarded the buses to head for the Willie Center.  Once there we set up camp, had a fireside and went to bed.
 The following morning we got up and prepared to hike about 15 miles over Rocky Ridge.  What an amazing day.  We experienced the women's pull, when all the men were pulled aside and the women pulled alone for about 3/4 a mile.  Most of the way was fairly easy until we arrived at the rocky hill.  The men were lining the path with hats over hearts as we climbed the rocky staircase that lead up the hill.  What a feeling to finally reach the top!  There were many blistered feet that day and we even carried one of our girls on the handcart for a while but we made it and I think we are all a little better for it.  The people who had chosen to not hike rocky ridge had worked on setting up camp for us at the end of the trail.  What a blessing and relief it was to come over that last hill and see our little Zion already being established.  After a long, tiring day on the trail, it was nice to have that work done for us.

This was an experience I will never forget.  It will forever remain close to my heart.  I am so thankful I had the opportunity to study and learn more about the Willie and Martin handcart pioneers and better understand their story.  I am so thankful I had the opportunity to walk in their footsteps and follow their trails.  I am thankful I got to know and love 10 amazing youth and learn from them.  I am thankful my awesome friend got to go on trek too, for her smiling fave along the trail and our late night chats in camp.  I am thankful Benjamin and I got to experience this together (originally he was going as the YM's president and I was staying home).  I am ever thankful for comfy shoes, a warm, soft bed, and a roof over my head.  I loved my experience and given the chance, I would go right back and do it again.

3 comments:

Holly said...

It sounds as if you had an amazing trek. There are some other places I think you would love to visit. When you can next year you all should come back here and we will take you to some other Mormon Pioneer sites. :)

Melissa Lasley said...

Even the little you shared was amazing. I'm glad you had the opportunity to go on that trip!

Jessica said...

My stake went on trek the summer after I turned 18, and even now, nearly 10 years later, I still have very tender memories. I think it's an experience that every young man and woman should have.