The other day Benjamin and I were having a discussion about trials. We all have trials in varying degrees. Some people seem to get alot while others seem to have few, or maybe it's more that some people's trial seem much more difficult than others. Many people struggle in ways that others don't even realize. So part of our discussion was why we have trials and why do others have more, or more difficult, trials. I have a hard time believing that Heavenly Father is looking down on all of us thinking "what trial can I give ________ today?" But I also don't think that all trials are brought upon us by our actions and/or choices. Maybe there are some people that Heavenly Father knows are stronger and they will be able to handle more in life. I am surrounded by amazing neighbors that have all been given difficult things to deal with and I have often looked at them and thought "I could never do that". Now I am sure that if I were in their situation I would do it, but I kinda think Heavenly Father gives us what he knows we can handle. It does say in the scriptures that He will never give us more than He knows we can take. Notice its what HE thinks we can take, not what WE feel able to deal with. He sees alot more potential in us that we see in ourselves and maybe when we are going through something that it seems we cannot get through, we can think that HE knows we have the potential to get through it. Part of why we are here on earth is to be tried and tested and we knew it wouldn't be easy. But still we chose to come to earth and get through whatever affliction get sent our way.
These are just some of my rambling thoughts, I'd love to hear what you think.
3 comments:
I agree with you.. I also think that without the trials and hard times how are we supposed to grow spiritually, physically, emotionally, mentally, etc... Trials bring us closer to Heavenly Father, as we sit in prayer, scripture study and pondering. I also think when we have trials Heavenly Father doesn't leave us to do it alone. He always sends people to help, love, talk. I know that when we go through hard time and trials it brings our family closer to each other and to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. There are times that I ask why??? then I remember that I can do it and I won't be alone. I have met some wonderful people and I wouldn't have if we didn't go through certain trials. Love you guys and miss you.. :)
I've been thinking a lot about this subject lately...I feel lately every.single.day has been a trial to make through and every day I am trying to be happier and happier about our situation. I don't want to just "push through" until the light at the end of the tunnel becomes blinding. I'm trying to enjoy the journey. ugg...it's hard sometimes though. But attitude is key, I've definitely learned that that past 4 years....
I've spent a lot of time thinking about this as well. I always wondered what I did to be so "lucky" to have easier trials than those around me, and I would feel a sort of guilt because I didn't suffer as much as my friends. Then, I'd worry that I didn't have super-hard trials because Heavenly Father didn't think I was strong enough to handle anything difficult.
But, when my mom and I were talking about it the other day, she said something that resonated with me. Yes, the trials of others seem so much more difficult than our own, but it's possible (and even probable) that those same people are looking at us and thinking the same thing about OUR trials. It's impossible to compare our trials with others' because the types of trials they can handle are so different from the types of trials WE can handle. Plus, it's easy to look back at the trials I've overcome in my life and forget how hard they were when I was in the throes of them.
It's taken me a while to figure out, but now I know that Heavenly Father loves us all the same, and would never "favor" one child over another with harder or easier trials in this life. He's given us all exactly what we need to learn and grow in this life and return to Him.
Glad I'm not the only person that thinks about this. :)
(Oh, and sorry for the essay comment)
Post a Comment