Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The results of last posting

So I guess I kinda left some things hanging on the last post so I thought I would give results to a few different events.
Benjamin returned from his elk hunt empty handed.  I guess it's a bizarre year for wild animals.  In an area where there is normally herds of 150-200 elk, he only saw 1 elk the entire week.  Oh well, I guess it's back to buying beef for us this year.
We had ordered some como fabric to make Nathaniel camo clothes.  The fabric didn't arrive until Friday and his first hunt was early Saturday morning.  I frantically cut and sewed until 2am to get the clothes done for him.
So Saturday Nathaniel and Benjamin got up early for Nathaniel's first duck hunt (I think Nathaniel was actually up quite a bit during the night being so excited).  They had a great time and he actually shot a duck!  I was very proud of him.  I was going to include a photo but then decided it would be better to spare you the gory details.
Last weekend was also our Stake conference.  Elder Anderson came to speak as well as Elder Lund of the 70.  Due to conflicting events on Saturday night (can you believe how bad BYU got whooped?), they decided to have the adult session on Friday night.  It was a great meeting full of wonderful messages.  Sunday was just as great, only with a lot more noise and kids wrestling.  It was such a blessing to have an apostle come and speak to us.
Saturday night the kids wanted to watch the game and since we don't get those channels, they went to a couple different neighbors homes to watch.  2 of the were asleep by halftime and another was out by the end of the 3rd quarter.  But they had alot of fun watching the game and thought it was neat to have a "late-night" at friends houses.
As for Benjamin and I, we didn't make it out to watch any of the game.  We stuck grapes in the steamer to juice and bottle, simmered a pot of spaghetti sauce to bottle, and shucked and boiled ears of corn to cut off the cob and freeze.  It was a busy night but it feels good to add to our food storage.
Speaking of which, the result of the food storage challenge.  It really wasn't all that bad.  We mixed our milk with half powdered milk to help extend it and we only had to make bread twice.  I had to do a little more thinking to come up with meals but we had plenty of food to get us through.  It was mostly the conveniences that I missed.  And ice cream!
And I am really starting to panic about the primary program.  I am seriously considering postponing it a couple of weeks so we can feel better prepared.  I finally got it mostly written but there is still alot of work to do before I will feel fully ready.
That's it for now.  Time to get a little sleep before a new day begins.

1 comment:

Melissa Lasley said...

I am so amazed at your food storage/canning awesomeness. Way to go!