Sunday, September 4, 2011

A Mock Disaster

Today at the end of sacrament meeting, our bishop announced that he would like to hold a mock disaster.  They have been holding a Sunday School class called "Provident Living" and learning about everything from gardening and using the produce to backyard chickens and canning.  The bishop wants to see where the ward really is on being prepared.  So he chose 10 families to be a part of the "experiment".  I wasn't too surprised when he read our name because for some reason I saw it coming.  So the challenge is to live on food storage for 2 weeks, no going to any stores.  We can trade items only with the other families that are involved.    We are to chose someone in the family to keep a journal and at the end of the 2 weeks the families are going to share their experiences with the ward.  I am glad I went to the store last night for milk, now we need to see how long we can make 2 1/2 gallons last.  It should be an interesting thing to see how prepared we actually are. 

1 comment:

Melissa Lasley said...

Wow! That is really cool! It is also nice that you have chickens so you can get eggs for breakfast.
(If as a last resort you need milk or something, I vote getting some from my parents. After all, the church teaches that families are supposed to support each other in time of need!)