We decided to really live it up the last week of summer vacation and get in a few last summer activities. Wednesday afternoon the kids and I, along with my parents, headed up to Whiting Campground in Mapleton. We got camp all set up and Benjamin came up and met us after work (and after replacing the trucks brake pads which is a whole other story). We camped next to a small stream and the boys had many adventures along the shores. They got very dirty but had lots of fun. It's a beautiful campground full of trees so there was plenty of shade. Its also also very close to town so it was nice to be able to run up and down as needed (such as to attend my nieces fundraiser dinner and the open house at the school). We relaxed, sat by the fire, read, played cards, hiked, and hung out until Saturday morning. As usual I didn't remember to take many pictures but here are a few photos of the fun.
 |
| My dirty campers |
 |
| My new favorite camping creation, a hand washing station. |
 |
| There were lots of huge butterflies |
Saturday afternoon we headed to the Payson pool for the annual Fernelius family swim party. The menu this year was KFC chicken and everyone brought sides to share. We swam for nearly 3 hours and I came home crispy and worn out. Its an event we always look forward to and this year didn't disappoint. I actually had to make the kids get out of the pool so we could get home and ready for the next event.
Our final hurrah before school starts was our End of Summer Block party on Saturday night. I planned it along with one of the neighbors. We almost thought it wasn't going to happen as we watched the clouds roll in 1/2 hour before the party was to start. Then the rain cut loose and it poured for about 15 minutes. I was pretty upset that all of our plans would be ruined. Fortunately we decided to give it 10 minutes and see what happened, because soon the clouds passed by and even the wind mostly stopped. We got permission to close the road for the evening so we could spread out and play. We had rented a bouncehouse and we set up Benjamin's parents dunktank. It just took Benjamin sitting on the seat of the dunktank for the kids to get over any fears and soon they were all running home to put on their suits. Then they were waiting in line for their turn to be dunked. Even longer was the line to try to dunk each other. We pulled out a few BBQ's and cooked up all kinds of meat. Everyone brought something to share. Eventually the kids started up a water fight and I somehow became their main target. When it got dark enough we projected a movie outside and ate popcorn and cotton candy. It was a great evening and alot of fun. I am continually grateful that we have been blessed with such wonderful neighbors.
 |
| Benjamin setting the example on the dunk tank |
 |
| The kids all lined up for a turn to try to dunk each other |
 |
| All the grills lined up in a row |
 |
| The bouncehouse was a big hit |
And now, here I find myself on Sunday night, the eve of the beginning of another year of school. The summer seems to have flown by so quickly. I enjoy the freedom of summer but I am ready for the return of routines and earlier bedtime.
No comments:
Post a Comment