Monday, November 9, 2009

A little together time

Last Friday Benjamin and Nathaniel headed off for an overnight pheasant hunt (yes, another hunting trip). The elementary school was hosting a mother and son camp-in so I took the other 3 boys and went to that. We dressed in our best camping gear (which of course to my boys mean camo) and packed our sleeping bags. We went to the gym where we laid out our sleeping bags and joined in singing some good, old camp songs. Then we enjoyed smores and hot cocoa and make a "litterbug" out of newspaper and straws. When everyone had finished we settled on our sleeping bags, they turned out the lights and we enjoyed (well most of us anyway) some spooky stories. It was alot of fun. Not a surprise that I didn't get any photos, but this time because Benjamin took the camera with him. We did pay $1 to get our picture taken at the event so there will be one memento of the night.
When we got home the boys were too spooked to get in their beds so we spread the sleeping bags in the living room and extended the campout. It was a good time!
We have also started having "dates". Each week one of the boys get a turn to spend time with either mom or dad, whichever they choose. There are some rules and limitations so we don't go broke in the process, but so far we are all enjoying a little more one on one time. In the craziness of life and family, it's so nice to help each of the boys know that they are loved individually.

4 comments:

Holly said...

you are amazing! where do you come up with such wonderful ideas? I love them. Sounds like you are having tons of fun.

Pays said...

We love "date" nights at our house...they never get old! Sounds like you had a fun "campout!"

Melissa Lasley said...

That sounds really fun, I'm glad you guys are doing well.

Cheyenne said...

I love the date night with the kids idea. I think that is so important to have one on one time with them.