Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A good deal isn't always worth it

Today was $2 Tuesday at Thanksgiving Point so I thought I'd take the boys up and make a day of it. They decided they wanted to go to the dinosaur museum so that was the plan. My first clue that it was a bad idea should have been the low price (but I am a sucker for a good deal), the second should have been the amount on cars on the freeway offramp. Therehave been few times I have ever sat in as bad a traffic. It was amazing how many cars were headed the same way as us. After some manuvering and about 20 minutes (sitting through traffic) we made our way to the museum. As we pulled in to the parking lot I got a glimpse of the line - it came out the door and went all the way around the outside of the building. I am not even joking. I told the kids that there was no way I was going to stand in line for an hour or more just to save a little money. I then convinced the boys that this was a bad idea. We went to check out another venue - the farm, also with a gigantic line of people waiting to get a steal of a deal on the entrance fee. So our last resort? The gardens, which I figured couldn't be TOO bad. How crowded could hundreds of acres of gardens get? Off we went and to our pleasure there was only a small line waiting to get into the Children's Discovery Garden. We hadn't ever been there so it would be a fun new adventure. It was actually really cool, the boys had a blast and although there were alot of people, there was plenty of space to spread out. Next time I will plan a little better and bring water and lunch but it was really a good time. The day turned out great (even though it took us 30 minutes to get out of the place) and the boys went on and on about how much fun they had. A stop at Mickey D's for lunch and all was well. We even ended the day off with a yummy new sloppy joe recipe for dinner and a family bike ride. Hurray to fun days! (note again that I don't have any pictures, someday I just might remember to take the camera with me)

4 comments:

Andie said...

Sorry to hear it was so hectic.... I had another friend go and she made it sound like it wasn't that bad...

Pays said...

I should have given you the heads up on the dinosaur museam. We did that last year and it was the same way. The ark is the place to go. We always hit it at the end of the month when all the kids are in school. It isn't nearly as bad then.

Matthew and Alisha Palmer Family said...

Hehe, I would have seen the traffic and kept on driving. Thank goodness for MacDonald's, right? A happy meal makes everything better! Are your kids getting ready to start school? We have 4 more days--and can't wait!!!

Holly said...

Oh my!! that sounds like a crazy adventure. Thank goodness for happy meals and play places. Hope the new school year goes well.