Today I needed to do some grocery shopping since I hadn't been in several weeks. So this morning I worked up my weeks list of meals and then made my shopping list. My report to the boys of my plans to shop was met with groans and complaints, as usual. Grocery shopping isn't a favorite past time around here, unless it's me doing it kid free, then we are all happy. Anyway, I decided to involve the boys so maybe the shopping would be easier on us all. My theory - if I give each of the boys their own list they will keep busy helping and thus won't run/wrestle/complain/fight their way through the store.
I gave each of them their list, thinking that we would walk through the store together and they would pick out the items on their lists. Well they had their own ideas of how it would work. When we got to the store they start asking if they can go by themselves to get their items. So I take some deep breaths, telling myself that there's little chance of some goon trying to make off with my kids. I send Nathaniel and Ethan off together with one of those new smaller size carts. I think they were in heaven, I'm sure they felt very grown-up. You could see the pride in their little faces. I periodically checked on them as they zigzagged their way through the store and I proceeded to fill my big cart before they collected their 10 items. It may have taken a little longer, but it was the best, most peaceful grocery shopping trip with 4 boys that I have ever had. It was a good lesson all around - the boys practiced all kinds of good skills and I learned that it's important to show trust in your kids and give them some responsibility every now and then.
1 comment:
what an awesome idea. I would have never thought of doing that. You are amazing.
Post a Comment