Saturday, March 7, 2009

A morning thanks!

This morning I am thankful for the watchful care of a Heavenly Father. We had some excitement this morning that could have come out much more tragic, but I really feel like we were being watched over.
Benjamin left this morning at 3:30 to go on a pheasant hunt with some friends (I know, he's crazy). I was peacefully dreaming when Nathaniel runs in and says "mom the living room is full of smoke and the door on the stove is open!" (We have a coal stove that we use for heat) So I jump out of bed and run to the living room. The front door to the coal stove is open and there is red hot coal pouring out. So in my usual calm way of handling an emergency (haha), I panic. I grab my phone and call Benjamin. He calls his dad who show up minutes later. He was able to empty all of the extra coal, bucket by bucket. We opened all the windows and tried to clear the smoke. The boys were freezing so they kept to the couch wrapped in blankets. It was quickly taken care of and Benjamin's dad headed home.
All in all, it was a scary experience, especially when I thought how easily the coal could have hit the carpet igniting a house fire. It wasn't too much longer until I was on my knees thanking my Heavenly Father for keeping me and boys boys protected from harm.

2 comments:

Melissa Lasley said...

Wow! I am so glad you guys are safe and fine. What a scary experience. I'm glad you are okay. We love you!

Holly said...

I am glad you are safe, that is scary. I hope that you are doing well and the boys are also. Take care of yourselfs. Thanks for the concerns. I am truely thankful for your friendship.