So, you know that list your doctor gives you when you have a baby entitled "foods that are choking hazards" (or something like that). I think most of us read it and then mostly disregard it, and proceed to feed our babies baby carrots, grapes, hot dogs, popcorn and other "dangerous" foods. Well, I have recently learned that those people who make that list just may know what they are talking about. When they say "avoid round candy", they mean it. Here's our lesson learned.
Jaxon usually wants everything his brothers have, even if it means he has 3 diferent kinds of cereal in his bowl each morning. So when it comes to picking treats at the store he usually ends up with something the same as the others. A recent favorite has become Sweettarts. So last week at the store the 2 boys pick Sweettarts and so does Jaxon and I say "OK" (maybe I was braindead??) Anyway, to the point. I soon notice Jaxon is choking on a piece of the candy. He is gagging and coughing and drooling everywhere. I know enough to know that it wasn't heimlich worthy. He's acting as if it's stuck in his throat. If you've ever gotten something stuck in your throat, you'd get the picture. So I call the doctor and they say come right in. The doctor checks him out to make sure it wasn't in his windpipe. Then we needed him to drink some water to be sure he's gotten the candy down. Well, he wouldn't do it (whether he didn't want to or was having one of his wonderful "2" moments I don't know). So the doctor sends us to the hospital too get an esophagram (which is an exam Benjamin does). By the time we get there I am positive the candy has made it's passage on down to digestion. Anyway, we decided he didn't need the exam and all was well. (But we did get to eat lunch with Benjamin)
So, lesson learned - someone must know what they are talking about when they say certain foods should be avoided until the age of 4. Believe me, it's worth the possible tamtrums from avoiding those foods. Maybe mom's don't always know whats best.
5 comments:
I'm glad Jaxon is okay. But Melinda, lately your posts have all been about near disasters. We need some happier posts!
YIKES! We have learned our lesson from hotdogs and corn dog both me and the kids have had issues. Small bites, from now on. Glas to hear everything turned out okay.
I'm sorry you feel that my posts have not been happy but I really think I have only posted 2 "near disasters". I feel as though all the other posts have been happier events.
Yeah, I have given Will all of the foods on "that list". I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one, and happy to hear that Jaxon is ok.
I am so glad to hear Jaxon is okay, that choking stuff is way scary. Don't know if you remember but Kennen was in surgery having his esophugus repaired from choking when I went into labor with Sid 5.5 weeks early. Funny to look back on now. He he.
Post a Comment