Monday, April 15, 2013

Spring Break Days 2 and 3

We spent most of day 2 at Sand Hollow before packing up and heading about 5 miles away to Quail Creek where we would camp for the next 2 days.  We gave bass fishing a try and although we could see huge fish right off the dock we just couldn't get them to bite.  The boys all had a great time paddling around in the kayaks.  (Thanks for Daniel for letting us borrow a few so everyone could have their own)  Benjamin dropped his iphone in the lake, luckily close to shore, which prompted a run to Walmart for a bag of rice. 
Later in the evening the boys and I were standing on the dock waiting for Benjamin to come off the lake.  It was getting a little cool and breezy but Jaxon was playing around like he was going to jump in the water.  I jokingly told the boys that whoever jumped in I would buy them an ice cream cone.  To my surprise Jaxon went right in shortly followed by the other 3.  I guess I wasn't too disappointed in an ice cream trip (I am a sucker for ice cream)
The next afternoon we decided to go check out Browse.  A friend had told us there was a creek with amazing fishing.  We took a long, crazy, drive on a bumpy, skinny, twisty, dirt road.  When we got to the end the boys set up pine cones on a log and shot their bb guns.  We never did find any great fishing holes but we enjoyed a beautiful drive through the mountains.



After we made our way back down the road, we headed into St George for dinner.  The boys ran into sportsmans warehouse (whats the chance we would happen upon one?) and got some bass fishing advice from a guy.  We ended up sitting in the grass at a church to eat pizza.  Then we were back to the campground to try out the new fishing techniques before dark.  Jaxon and I opted to stay behind and play some cards.



I really enjoyed spending this time with my boys.  We had some interesting talks in the tents (about some of the good old facts of life) and some good laughs.  It was so nice to be away from tv and computers and video games and all other electronics, no friend, no work, no school.  Even though Benjamin dropping his phone in the lake was not a good thing, it was nice that not even he had any electronics for a few days.  I think the boys even fought less.  I guess that is one of the things I love most about camping.  We can just get away from all the distractions in life and just enjoy being together as a family in nature.

4 comments:

FerneClan said...

Sounds like fun was had by all, I so miss the St. George area. Gunlock is great for fishing too, hint hint.

KP said...

I'm glad you guys had such a fun time. Your boys are so sweet, I'm always so impressed by them.

Jacob and Kimberly Palmer said...

Sorry that last comment was me. I was signed in on the wrong gmail account ;)

Melissa Lasley said...

Sounds great!