Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Summer Life

It's been a while.  Life has felt so busy lately and I haven't really felt like there was much worth writing about.  Here's the latest.
We are in the last few weeks of summer vacation, getting ready for school to start (and feeling soooo ready).  We got the kids all registered at our new school and I have to say it was the best registration I have ever been to.  They were very organized and it made it so nice.  The kids are even more excited now that the have been in the school.  We get to go to the ribbon cutting ceremony and open house next week.  I was actually smart enough this year to watch sales all summer and buy a some school clothes each month.  Now I don't have such a huge dent to put in now.  All we need is socks and shoes.  YEA!  The only thing that makes me sad about school starting is that winter isn't far behind.
We've been eating lots of summer veggie meals.  Between bountiful baskets and our garden we are busting with fresh produce and loving it.  Sometimes we have entire meals that are home grown.  If anyone needs any garden veggies then come on over, we have plenty to share.  We have been busy canning anything we can.  We tried potatoes and carrots for the first time.  Benjamin taught a canning class in church on Sunday and it was deemed "the best canning class ever" by several people.  I guess he did a good job (of course).
We are looking forward to our new stake center being finished, mostly so I can split up some of the primary classes that have 15-20 kids.  Right now we are using every room possible so the teachers are just dealing with very large classes for the time being.  We had 4 babies born in the ward last week, and that was just in one week.  The bishop swears we are going to set the record for the most dinners ever prepared for the arrival of new babies.  It's about getting time to start working on the primary program again.  Fun times!
Benjamin is teaching his scouts how to make knives so we have them all here every Tuesday for a few hours while they grind and cut and sand.  This weekend Benjamin and Nathaniel are going to a Webelos Woods campout.  Nathaniel will be able to earn 4 pins so it's a great opportunity and experience for him.
We are in our last round of swimming lessons for the summer.  The kids are all becoming like little fish.  It will be nice to have that hour of my day back, but then I really kindof enjoy the free time it gives me to read.
The air conditioning on our car has gone out.  We have been driving around in sweltering heat for a few weeks now.  Benjamin finally decided to take it in and he first walked out of the shop 85 dollars poorer with the promise that it was fixed.  Well, he quickly found out it wasn't, took it back in and found out that it actually needs closer to a $1000 fix.  We may end up being grateful we bought the extended warranty on the car.  Or we may just get use to being really warm.
We enjoyed the Spanish Fork Fiesta days over the 24th of July.  We hit the parade and the car show and the craft booths.  We tried funnel cakes for the first time and YUM!  I may need to learn how to make those.  
We are enjoying lots of fresh brown eggs.  yes our chickens have been laying for a few weeks now.  We get 5 eggs a day which just about keeps up with us.  The kids get so excited to go out and check for eggs each day.  Sometimes we let the chickens out to roam and eat grass and bugs.  They never go far and when they are ready they go right back into the coop.  Jaxon loves to carry the chickens around under his arm.  He is the best at catching them and they don't even complain when he picks them up.
I have been working some early mornings and doing anything I can from home.  It keeps me pretty busy and sometimes I struggle to keep up with everything but I try to just be grateful for the extra income that helps keep us afloat.
Well, that's all the fun I can think of right now.  Happy end of summer to all and an even happier back to school :)

2 comments:

Andie said...

The summer flew by again and we missed out on a summer playdate this year too. Maybe a saturday this fall will have to do. Not trying to rhythm...... We would be up for any veggies you can spare. It has been a tight summer. Stinks to not have A/C in the car ours has been out too. I am hoping between the car and the house I can sweat off a few lbs.
Miss you on Sundays... Jonathon is always so sad when ya'all don't make it down this way. If you get a free minute let's try to go for a playdate or hotdogs up the canyon.
Until then enjoy your last few days

Melissa Lasley said...

You guys have crazy fun lives. We love you!