Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Satisfaction

I get such great satisfaction in a successful garden.  I get giddy when the plants start to push up through the dirt and my excitement grows with the plants.  I love heading out in the morning to look for small buds, signs that something might actually grow.  Then, watching the veggies as the slowly grow bigger and bigger until YEA!  I get to pick one.  I just love going out every day to see what I can pick and to see what has grown bigger.  Maybe I am strange, but I can't help it.  I love the satisfaction of a successful garden.
We have been picking more zucchini and squash than we can keep up with.  My kids don't like to eat it plain so I have been hiding it in anything I can think of.  (we've had zucchini bread, zucchini muffins, zucchini spaghetti, zucchini boats, zucchini pancakes, and more)  I eat a cucumber every day for lunch and just this week I've enjoyed the happiness of fresh garden tomatoes.  Is there anything more yummy?  We actually have a few watermelon getting bigger and the pumpkin plants are taking over the entire garden.   Yesterday we bottled green beans and the bell peppers are getting closer to being pickable.  I am just giddy enjoying the fruits of our labors.

2 comments:

Holly said...

YIPPEE!!!! I love gardens and fresh veggies. I am so the same way. I go out everyday. :) Soon we will have something to pick.. I hope!

Melissa Lasley said...

I'm so jealous! We've just started the South Beach Diet (which is mostly vegetables) and I wish I had a garden I could just go pick from!