Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Some fun tidbits

Just a few fun things I thought I'd share. (sorry, lots of pictures)
So continuing where I left off on Saturday - I left early for scrapbook night to do some kid-free shopping. I spent 3 carefree hours at the mall and it was heavenly. I found a swimsuit (hurray!) along with a few new shirts and pants. I consider it a successful shopping trip. So then I headed over to scrapbook club. After the scrappin' was done, I headed to Applebees with my sister, Monica and sister-in-law, Andrea for dessert. SO yummy!! Thanks girls for your company and listening ears. All in all it was a great night out for mom.
While I was gone, the boys decided to try to catch a bird. A few weeks back something was getting into our dogfood and the neighbor had lent us an animal trap. So, the boys scattered bird seed everywhere and into the trap then hid out in the back of the truck and waited. They were disappointed to find that their efforts were unsuccessful. But they had fun in their adventures. They also built birdhouses with the help of Dad.

Here's the setup

and the stakeout

We have discovered a family of quail living outside of our house and we love to watch them whenever they get into viewing range. A few times they have searched for their dinner right outside the window and we all gather around to watch. It's fun to see how the parents guard the chicks. We have counted 9 babies - how's you like to have that many (not me!)?

Mama bird eating with the babies

Dad keeps watch from the roof of the shed


Due to Nathaniel being sick, we stayed home on Sunday to avoid contaminating any family members. By afternoon his antibiotics were kicking in so he was feeling better, and we were all feeling restless. We decided to go for a drive. We went up Spanish Fork canyon and stopped at a park. We wandered up a trail that went up the mountain until it was getting dark and the mosquitoes were about to eat us alive. On the way home we saw 6 deer and 6 elk.

Can you find the elk in this picture? There are 3.

3 comments:

Holly said...

I am so glad you found a swimsuit. Sounds like your evening was super enjoyable. Your walk up Spanish Fork Canyon looked like lots of fun. Love you guys.

Kari said...

I love the stakeout in the truck, very cute. I have a quail that sits just like that on the edge of our roof in the morning. Maybe I need to keep a look out for a family close by.

Matthew and Alisha Palmer Family said...

What a nice evening! We love the pictures of the house building progress. It looks amazing, wow!!!